Friday 15 January 2016

Word on a wing

dove knitting pattern bird by Nicky Fijalkowska

Here's a new bird knitting pattern - I'm very pleased with this one. It's a dove of peace and like all my patterns, it's knitted in the flat on 2 needles. I think these might be the best wings I've knitted to date - they are double-sided so can easily be posed up or down, and the whole project is a nice, simple knit. The pattern is available as a download from my Etsy shop!

The dove is an ancient symbol of peace and love in many cultures - hope these knitted doves spread a little more peace and love into your world. I'm also hoping that people will knit these white doves as an alternative to releasing the real thing at weddings or funerals (so many of the released birds end up attacked by predators or in shelters as they are unable to fend for themselves after release).

You can download your dove pattern instantly, from Etsy.




4 comments:

  1. Nicky, these doves are lovely. The yarn appears to have a slight pinkish cast to it. Is it just the lighting or is it the yarn? What yarn did you use?
    Very pretty. Lord knows, we need what doves represent!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda! I see what you mean about the pinkish cast, I hadn't noticed that! It is just plain cream DK yarn - for the ones in the photo I was using up some oddments of a Turkish DK yarn I'd found in a local yarn shop. I usually use Stylecraft Double Knit Special though, it's very similar to this.

      Delete
  2. Hi Nicky,

    I'm just about to start knitting the blackbird in your lovely knitting book but am confused by the instructions for rows 21 - 29 where the increases take place for the bird's body. I think the * might be in the wrong place as printed in the book - and wonder if anyone else has picked up on this and, if so, what the correct instructions should be. Or am I just being thick!?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! Sorry to hear that you are having problems with the blackbird pattern. I've just checked and it works fine for me. You start by casting on 8 sts and then work 20 rows of st st for the tail, then on Row 21 you start to increase.

      If I "unpack" Row 21 so it doesn't contain the stars, hopefully that will make things a bit clearer:

      Row 21: increase into 1st st, K2, increase into next 2 sts, K2, increase into final st (12 sts).

      Hope that helps! If you are still stuck, let me know, I'm happy to help!

      Delete